The Big Berkey water filtration product is an excellent product for people who want to drink pure, clean water.
1. What is the Big Berkey water filter?
Big Berkey is a water purifier that filters up to 22,700 liters of freshwater in its service life.
2. How much water does the Big Berkey filter at one time?
The Big Berkey holds 8.5 liters of water at one time.
3. How long does the Big Berkey last?
This depends on how much water you drink, but for most folks, the Big Berkey Water Filters can last about 5 or 6 years. The actual stainless steel unit will last for generations.
4. How long will it take for my product to ship after ordering?
Provided that the Big Berkey is in stock when you place your order, it will ship out within 1 to 3 business days of placing your order.
5. Will the Big Berkey remove lead?
Yes, the Big Berkey removes >99.9% lead from your water.
6. Is the Big Berkey portable?
Yes! The upper chamber slides into the lower chamber for easy transport. If you’re seeking a more portable model, see our Go Berkey.
7. How long does the Big Berkey take to filter water?
This depends on how many purification elements you own. With two elements, your Big Berkey will complete its filtration cycle in about 5 hours. Put in two more elements, and your Big Berkey will complete its filtration cycle in half the time.
8. How many people does the Big Berkey serve?
The Big Berkey is an excellent product for a family of up to four people.
9. Can I use the Big Berkey for cooking and making coffee, etc?
Yes. However, depending on the size of your family, how much water you use for cooking etc, the next larger size (Royal Berkey) may be more suitable.
10. How does the Big Berkey compare to other filtration products?
11. Does my Big Berkey come with everything it needs to function?
Yes, your Big Berkey water filter will arrive with all the parts to get started.
12. Will the Big Berkey filter water from streams and ponds?
Yes, your Big Berkey can filter stagnant water from outdoor sources.
13. Does the Big Berkey need to be plugged in to work?
No, the Big Berkey water filter requires no electricity to function.
14. Does the Big Berkey remove viruses?
Yes, Big Berkey removes viruses and bacteria.
15. What is Big Berkey made from?
The exterior shell of the Big Berkey is made from food grade stainless steel.
16. Is Big Berkey good for the environment?
Compared to bottled water, which produces plastic waste, the Big Berkey is very eco-friendly.
17. Where can I find out what else Big Berkey water filter removes from the water?
Take a look at our lab results.
18. How can I tell how much water is left in the Big Berkey?
You can simply tilt back the upper chamber to look inside the lower chamber or buy the optional Sight Glass Spigot.
19. What happens when filtration elements become clogged with impurities?
The Big Berkey will become slow once it becomes clogged. It will need to be washed every 1 to 6 months.
20. Does water need to be treated before being put into the Big Berkey?
When drawing water from a pond or stagnant water source, it’s best to treat it with 16 drops of bleach or iodine before putting the water in the purifier. This is an added precaution.
21. Will the Big Berkey purify ocean water?
No, the Big Berkey cannot purify water from the ocean.
22. I have a water softener, can I use the Big Berkey?
Water softened with salt cannot be used with the Big Berkey.
23. Are the parts of my Big Berkey water filter replaceable?
Yes, if parts of your Big Berkey break or become used up, you can buy replacement parts on our website.
24. Will I be provided with all instructions to use and maintain my Big Berkey?
Instructions can be found on our website and also come included with your Berkey.