The Berkey PF-2
Heard about the ill-effects of fluoride in our drinking water? There is a reason “97% of Western Europe has chosen fluoride free water” (fluoridealert.org). Looking for a fluoride filter? The Berkey PF-2 fluoride reduction elements are so powerful, they may be just what you are looking for. Up to 99.75% Fluoride, Sodium Fluoride, Sodium Fluorosilicate, Fluorosilicic Acid (aka Hydrofluorosilic Acid) reduction!
They are designed to be used in-line with these Gravity Fed Berkey Water Purification units (not the sport bottle):
PF-2 fluoride reduction elements are designed for use in-line with Black Berkey water purification elements to adsorb the following unwanted elements found in drinking water.
• Fluoride: Sodium Fluoride, Sodium Fluorosilicate, Fluorosilicic Acid (aka Hydrofluorosilic Acid)
• Arsenic V and pre-oxidized Arsenic III
• Other residual heavy metal ions
Why would I be worried about Fluoride in my water? Reduced IQ, possible bone cancer… click here to learn more.
They thread onto the ends of the Black Berkey elements. See white PF-2 filter elements below:
FLUORIDE: Testing for fluoride was based on 20-30ppm of the ion in the influent aqueous solution at a flow rate of no more than 11 liters per minute (3 gpm) per cubic foot of media. Results of < 1ppm of the fluoride ion in the effluent were typical for the media (>95% reduction). Under optimum conditions, effluent concentrations of less than 50 ppb were readily achieved (>99.75% reduction).
ARSENIC: This product uniquely targets the entire family of arsenic oxide anions as well as the arsenic cations. Note, the Black Berkey elements remove minimum 99% of Arsenic. See the lab results here.
REPLACEMENT: Under normal conditions it is recommended that each set of two PF-2 elements be replaced after 3,785 liters (1,000 gallons) or 1 year, whichever comes first. The Royal Berkey system is about 12.3 liters (3.25 gallons) therefore the PF-2 filters should be replaced after approximately 307 refills. If the system is refilled about one time per day, the PF-2’s should be replaced after 10 months, if the system is refilled about twice per day, the PF-2’s should be replaced about every five months. Actual capacity is dependent on the presence of other competing contaminants in the source water. High levels of fluoride, arsenic and heavy metals may reduce the capacity and efficiency of the elements.
SIZE: Length 15.5 cms (6″), Width 6.5 cms (2.5″)
For a full comparison of Berkey Water Purifiers holding capacities, flow rates, unit dimensions and pricing, click here.
For a comparison between Berkey, Aquasana and Brita products, click here.
1) Do not boil this element.
2) Berkey PF-2 filter elements reduce filtration flow rate by 15-20%.
3) Our original tests were done using gravity alone to purge the PF-2 elements. Since then, we have added a step by using purging buttons which are much more efficient at removing any residual process dust from the PF-2 media. The test does not distinguish between activated alumina (Al2O3) and Aluminum (Al). So we had to use the total count of aluminum and activated alumina in our tests.
4) For maximum removal efficiency, maintain the water being treated between a PH level above 5 and below 7. Actual capacity is dependent on the level of contamination of arsenic, fluoride and other competing heavy metal ions. Unusually high levels of these contaminants may reduce the capacity and efficiency of these elements.
5) The media used in the PF-2 filter elements contains high-grade activated alumina (Al2O3), which currently is the most efficient media available for extracting fluoride from water. Activated alumina is inert.
To give a scale for comparison purposes we include test results from a national brand toothpaste and water boiled in an aluminum pan:
• National brand toothpaste: 52.878 ppm aluminum
• Water boiled in an aluminum pan for five minutes: 2.791 ppm aluminum
• Berkey PF-2 after conditioning (5 cycles): 0.178 ppm aluminum
• Berkey PF-2 after 10 Cycles: 0.037 ppm aluminum
• Berkey PF-2 after 20 Cycles: 0.029 ppm aluminum
(ppm = parts per million)
The reduction over time is due to additional residual process dust being washed free from the PF-2 elements as the system is used.
The PF-2 filters reduce fluoride and arsenic in your water using the media aluminum oxide (aka activated alumina). As a consumer, it’s important to know that pure aluminum and aluminum oxide have vastly different characteristics. Pure aluminum is water-soluble, it is highly reactive and it is associated with negative health effects. By contrast aluminum oxide is not water-soluble; it is inert, is very stable and is not associated with negative health effects. To learn more about aluminum oxide and separate fact from fiction, click here. To view independent lab results, click here.
Fluoride Free Water ~ You don’t have to feel bad to feel better!