Sport Berkey Overview
The Sport Berkey is the ideal Water Bottle With Filter. It is a personal protection traveling companion – featuring the “Ionic adsorption micro filtration system”. The theory behind this innovation is simple. The bottle’s filter is designed to remove and/or dramatically reduce a vast array of health-threatening contaminants from questionable sources of water, including remote lakes and streams, stagnant ponds and water supplies in foreign countries where regulations may be sub-standard at best. Excellent as a travel, camping and emergency water filter.
Sport Berkey Product Specifications
- Sport Berkey Water Bottle
- Filter and Drink any freshwater source safely. Yes, even creek, pond or questionable tap water!
- BPA Free! Bottle is constructed from a safe, non-leaching, LDPE #4 medical grade polymer, which is BPA Free.
- The Sport Berkey Portable Water Filter utilizes Ionic Adsorption Micro Filtration. This advanced technology was developed, refined, and proven through diligent investigative research and testing performed by water purification specialists researchers and engineers.
- Awesome for travelling, camping, canoeing, hiking, mountain biking, anytime… Buy a filter, don’t be a filter.
- Removes Cryptosporidium, Giardia ‘Beaver Fever’, E-coli >99.99999% and other pathogenic bacteria.
- Removes or drastically reduces chlorine, chloramines, fluoride, toxic chemicals, chlorides, petroleum based products, heavy metals, pharmaceuticals, VOC’s, pesticides and herbicides, radiologicals, unpleasant tastes and odours, silt and sediment.
- Volume = 700ml (23.6 fl oz)
- Municipal water: filter up to 640 refill
- Any freshwater source: filter up to 160 refills
- See the Sport Berkey Lab Test Results Here. Uses the same filtration medium as the larger Black Berkey Purification Element
- Health/Wellness and a Survival tool in one!
- Keep your bottle for years! Replace only the filter element.
- Complete description here:
- Sport Berkey Water Bottle With Filter
- Usage and Maintenance Instructions
- See the Sport Berkey Lab Test Results Here
- When drinking from your Sport Berkey, it is best to squeeze the bottle and suck through the straw at the same time to achieve the best flow rate. The flow rate is slower than drinking from a normal water bottle as your water filters as you drink.
- Do not store filled bottle on its side or upside down as the air release valve in the cap can leak water.
- Do not allow your Sport Berkey Bottle to freeze, do not place in microwave oven, and do not run hot water through the filter.
- Will not purify ocean water and not intended for consistent use with salt-softened water.
Sport Berkey FAQ
How do I clean the bottle of my Sport Berkey® Portable Water Filter?
The Sport Berkey® Portable Water Filter has a shelf life of 50 years. When the filter system will not be used for an extended period, remove filter and fill the unit with either chlorinated bleach of 1/4 tsp. per one half gallon of water, or a 50/50 mix of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Rinse. Allow parts to dry thoroughly with cap removed. Re-assemble and seal in an air tight container if possible. Do not allow filter to freeze, do not place in microwave oven and do not run hot water through the filter. We recommend that the bleach used, not be scented or in any other way enhanced. If you are not aware, many bleaches today come with “other things” in them to provide a nice smell, etc. We don’t recommend these types of bleaches.
What is the capacity of the Sport Berkey®?
The capacity of the Sport Berkey® is 650 mls (22 oz). and the bottle will efficiently filter 160 refills of raw untreated water and 640 refills of municipally treated water. Always use the cleanest source water possible as the dirtier the water, the quicker the filter element will become clogged.
Can I clean the filter in my Sport Berkey® filtration bottle?
The Sport Berkey® filter is not cleanable. Replacement filters are available on this product page, see above.
What is the plastic composition of the Sport Berkey® components (bottle, cap & straw)?
The bottle is constructed from a non-leaching, LDPE #4 medical grade polymer, which is BPA Free. The cap is FDA HDPE and the straw is FDA PolyPro. Please note that the number imprinted on the bottom of the Sport Berkey® refers to a lot number and is not a recycle code.
Why do your instructions say : “Do not allow filter to freeze?”
We strongly advise against freezing your elements as a general rule of caution. We also advise against storing the elements (even unused) in sub-freezing climates. The concern with freezing the elements is that any cold or freezing water will expand inside in the element, thereby increasing the pore size and ruining the element. Whether the elements are unused or used and fully dried out, a small amount of moisture could still exist inside the element, especially in predominately humid climates. This moisture could expand inside the element and render them unusable. Please note that this recommendation applies to ALL our Berkey® elements, including the Sport Berkey® water filter bottle element. Freezing your element and rendering it unusable will also void your warranty coverage.
What is the maximum temperature that the Sport Berkey® can be stored at?
The maximum amount of heat the Sport Berkey® can withstand is 46.11 degrees Celsius (115 degrees Fahrenheit).
Can I filter boiling water through the Sport Berkey® for making hot tea?
Hot water can break down the element and compromise its efficiency, so we recommend that you first filter the source water through the Sport Berkey® then afterward boil the filtered water for your tea.
How do I remove mold and mildew from the straw in the Sport Berkey®?
This can occur on occasion. Typically, it means that the top & straw (and bottle) are in need of a good soapy cleaning. Follow standard cleaning procedures which are on the instructions that come with each bottle. In some cases, it may be necessary to soak the top/straw for a bit before cleaning, or use a fine brush in the straw. Typically soaking in soapy water or vinegar water takes care of any build-up inside the top/straw. Rinse thoroughly. Again, it is important to periodically clean the bottle, top & straw to help keep this from occurring in the future.