Big Berkey Product Overview
The versatile Big Berkey water filter is the ideal system for use at home with small or medium-sized families, travel, outdoor activities or during unexpected emergencies. It’s a Health, Wellness, and a Survival tool in one.
This powerful system purifies any freshwater source, including both treated water and untreated raw water from such sources as remote lakes, streams, stagnant ponds and water supplies in foreign countries, where regulations may be substandard at best. Big Berkey water filters are perfect for everyday use, outdoor activities and a must in hostile environments where electricity, water pressure or treated water may not be available.
Big Berkey Product Specifications
- Included Black Berkey Purification elements last for 22,700 Liters (6,000 Gallons) as a pair, are cleanable, and self-sterilizing. For most families, this works out to a 5-6 year lifespan.
- Holds 8 L (2.1 G) of water
- Purifies 13 L (3.5 G)/hour with 2 Black Berkey Elements when the upper chamber is full. As the water level in the upper chamber declines, the purification rate slows due to less pressure on the elements.
- Purifies 26 L (7 G)/hour with 4 Black Berkey Elements (when upper chamber is full)
- Height while in use: 49 cms (19.25″), Diameter: 22 cms (8.5″)
- Packed height (upper reservoir slides into lower): 33cms (13″)
- Weight when empty: 3.4 kg (7.5 lbs)
This system comes with two Black Berkey® Purification Elements which have undergone Independent 3rd Party Laboratory Tests.
IMPORTANT TO NOTE:
- Read and follow ALL included instructions before setting up your unit.
- If the lower chamber is full of water, do not add water to the upper chamber or your unit will overflow where the chambers connect. If the lower unit is half full, you may fill the upper chamber half way.
- If purchasing the PF-2 Fluoride filters, note they operate in-line with the Black elements. So if you are using 4 Black elements, you require 4 PF-2 Fluoride filters. See this page for pictures to understand better.
- PF-2 Fluoride filters last for 3,785 liters (1,000 gallons), as a pair. This is about 1 year for most folks.
- Berkey filters will not purify ocean water and cannot be used with salt-softened water.
- Complete descriptions here: