Berkey Lab Results
(Independent 3rd Party Laboratory Tests, scroll down for the links to reports.)
Black Berkey® Purification Elements are more powerful than any other gravity filter element currently available. The elements have a unique purification capability that is due to their unique structure. The micro-pores within the Black Berkey® Elements are so small that viruses and pathogenic bacteria are simply not able to pass through them.
Many water filters on the market may claim to be a water purifier, but do not meet the performance specifications required for this classification. In order to be classified as a water purifier, a water treatment device must remove at least 99.9999% of pathogenic bacteria and reduce viruses by 99.99%. The Black Berkey® Purification Elements can be classified as water purifiers because they remove 99.9999999% of pathogenic bacteria and 99.999% of viruses, which greatly exceeds the standard. The Black Berkey®Purification Element formulation has been tested by State and EPA accredited laboratories to exceed NSF/ANSI Standard 53.
The Black Berkey® Purification Elements have been tested and confirmed to remove or greatly reduce the contaminants listed below:
VIRUSES – Removed to >99.999% (Log 5)
Exceeds Purification Standard (Log 4):
MS2 Coliphage ; Fr Coliphage.
PATHOGENIC BACTERIA (AND SURROGATES) – Removed to >99.9999999%
Exceeds Purification Standard (Log 6): Bacillus atrophaeus (Anthrax surrogate); Raoultella terrigena (Pathogenic Bacteria Surrogate); Salmonella Enterica.
TRIHALOMETHANES – Removed to >99.8%
(Below Lab Detectable Limits):
Bromodichloromethane ; Bromoform ; Chloroform ; Dibromochloromethane.
Removed to Below Lab Detectable Limits: Chloramine; Chloride; Chlorine Residual (Total Residual Chlorine); Free Chlorine
HEAVY METALS (HIGH & LOW pH LEVELS)
Aluminum (>99%); Antimony (>99.9%); Barium (>80%); Beryllium (>99.9%); Bismuth (>99.9%); Cadmium (>99.7%); Cobalt (>95%); Chromium (>99.9%); Chromium 6 (>99.85%); Copper (>99.9%); Iron (>99.9%); Lead (>99.9%); Mercury (>99.9%); Molybdenum (>90%); Nickel (>99.9%); Vanadium (>87.5%); Zinc (>99.9%).
PHARMACEUTICAL DRUGS CONTAMINANTS – Removed to >99.9%
Acetaminophen; Caffeine; Carbamazepine; Ciprofloxacin HCl; Erythromycin USP; Sulfamethoxazole; Trimethoprim; Bisphenol A; Diclofenac Sodium; 4-para-Nonylphenol; 4-tert-Octylphenol; Primidone; Progestrone; Gemfibrozil; Ibuprofen; Naproxen Sodium; Triclosan.
Pesticides & (Semi) Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) Removed to Below Laboratory Detectable Limits
ALSO REMOVES OR REDUCES:
Arsenic (>99.9%); Escherichia coli (E. Coli) (>99.999%); Fluorene (>99.9%); Manganese (>99.9%); MBAS (>96.67%); Nitrites (>95%); PCB’s (>99.9%); Petroleum Products (Gasoline, Diesel, Crude Oil, Kerosene, Mineral Spirits, Refined Oil- All >99.9%); Selenium (>99.9%); Thallium (>99.5%); Rust; Silt; Sediment; Turbidity; Foul Tastes and Odors.
CLICK ON LINKS BELOW TO VIEW THE 3rd PARTY LAB TEST RESULTS:
Mike Adams, the ‘Health Ranger’, via ICP-MS instrumentation with parts per billion sensitivity independently tested the most popular water filters for removal of toxic heavy metals (lead, cadmium, mercury, arsenic) and elements with radioactive isotopes (uranium, strontium, cesium). Click here to see the proof that Berkey was by far the best Gravity Water Filter tested.
- Black Berkey Purification Elements
- These elements combine the age-old process of micro-porous filtration coupled with modern state-of-the-art technology and the highest quality materials
- Elements are self-sterilizing and cleanable (Berkey Maintenance Instructions)
- Operate on the principles of both Ionic “absorption” and “adsorption”
- Black Berkey elements do not remove beneficial minerals from the water
- Lifespan: 22,700 Liters (6,000 Gallons) per set of two, approximately 6 years if purifying 8 liters/day (2 gallons/day) everyday, all year
- What exactly is removed?
- VIRUSES >99.999%
- PATHOGENIC BACTERIA, CYSTS AND PARASITES >99.9999%
- HEAVY METALS – Reduced by up to 95%
- Check out the latest lab results here, by Mike Adams, The Health Ranger.
- CHLORINE, VOLATILE ORGANIC COMPOUNDS (VOCs), TRIHALOMETHANES, RADIOLOGICALS, INORGANIC MINERALS – Removed to below detectable limits
- RUST, SILT, SEDIMENT, FOUL TASTE AND ODORS – Removed or reduced
- Complete description and lab test results: Black Berkey Purification Elements
- One brown priming washer is included with each set of 2 elements
- The Black Berkey Primer is a very useful tool to assist in your cleaning and re-priming maintenance